Saturday, November 17, 2007

Video Game Violence

This is a great subject for discussion today. So many neat things to get mad about...so I guess I'll take it from the top. Does violence effect children? Yes most likely. Growing "Tweens" and Teens can be influenced very easily. Either by peer pressure, what they see on TV, or most importantly their environment at home. Kids are a product of their reality, and their reality reflects how they have grown up, their demeanor, attitude. When one or all of these things are unstable, kids can become really messed up and kill people, I.E Columbine High School. Anyways, what ever happened to "responsible parenting?" What happened to "responsibility?" The Answer: The Pussification of our society. I know thats not a word, but it works. The dumbing down and removal of all things tough in a persons life. Example: Ms. Crapinsworth, the local engish teacher, transpanted from Berkley, decides to have a pop quiz. After the grades are in, Ms. Crapinsworth thinks that giving a person an F on a paper will hurt their feelings and cause them to dispair.

Spare the children any trauma. Lets shelter them from the consequences of real life. If you don't study, you're going to fuck up on the test. If you hit someone, you're going to get hit back. If you shoot someone, what happens now? How are these kids supposed to learn life lessons. I just does not make sense to me. In today's society, where parents are busy running kids to play dates and other garbage that they don't actually take the time to talk to their kids. Taking your kids to a soccer game or to after school whatever is not the same as talking to them. Again, lets use Columbine as an example. These 2 shooters, Clebold and Harris. Had plotted to kill classmates and teachers. They were making pipe bombs in their room at home. Had assault rifles and other illegal shit. Ok, this is what the fuck I want to know. HOW DID YOU MAKE A PIPE BOMB IN YOUR ROOM AND MOM AND DAD DON'T KNOW? Shit, when I was that age, I couldn't get a freakin' Playboy or 40 oz beer without someone getting light. But then again, I wasn't at odds with my parents, not that I told them I was being mischievous, but I didn't hate anyone. If your child sits in his room with the doors closed for hours at a time, doesn't come out or say a peep, wouldn't you ask whats going on? Not to say that you don't trust your child, but just to know what the hell is so interesting? I guess not.

This is what I don't get. How are these politicians single-handedly blaming video games as the sole corrupter of today's youth? I guess it could be the Blame-Game dijour. Movies this week, video games next week, then back to movies? Lets pause here to take a look. R-rated movies require an ID or someone over 21 to purchase. Wal-Mart, K-mart, Target, as well as most retailers require ID's to purchase these movies. The same goes for video games. However, and that is a big HOWEVER, that does not stop retard parents from buying the games for little Douche Jr. Video Games have a rating system. There has been a standing rating system for video games since the mid-1990's. This battle still rages on. Politicians like Leeland Yee from California and Hillary Clinton are on a rampage to save us from our selves. An example of this is the game Grand Theft Auto. It is a very popular game, but it has mature themes. I would consider it along the lines of Scarface or the Godfather. If it was a movie, it would be rated R. But, its a video game so its Rated M, for MATURE. That means 17 years+. So then, tell me how does little Douche Jr. get his hands on the game. He begs his inattentive irresponsible parents to get the game for Christmas or whatever. So, when Douche Jr. is in the living room punching a whore in the face or car-jacking a Porche, Mr and Mrs Douche are totally flabberghasted at what they see.

This boils down to choice. People who do this shit are idiots. You get no sympathy from me. I grew up with violent games. I am a well adjusted individual who can tell reality from fantasy. I know that my actions have consequences. After I played Mortal Combat, i didn't go out and stab someone in the throat. I some how managed to graduate from college, get married. What else can you ask for.

Its like driving around in the car without a seat belt, or getting cancer because you smoked cigarettes all your life. You CHOSE to do what you did, if it be buying a video game, puffing on that cig, or rolling your SUV and dying cause you didn't wear your safety belt. This shit can be prevented. Parents look at the game ratings, talk to your children, don't be afraid, you were once in their shoes, if you can remember. You are not here to be a friend, you are here to parent.

ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES!

It's shit like this that rolls right into the clutches of activist litigators like Jack Thompson. A Florida lawyer who is on a rampage to destroy the video game industry. If you do a Google search, you can find tons of info on his stupid ass. Violent games should not be banned. Stupid idiots should be banned. Legislating to the lowest common denominator also pussifies our society. Lets make everything safe for everyone. I thought we had rights. I thought you couldn't pass laws that infringe on our rights?

Well, I guess I'm wrong.

No comments: